South Pasadena Farmer's Market

Monday, May 11, 2009

So…this past Thursday, I attended what I consider one of the finer Farmer’s Markets in the metro area, South Pasadena’s. Though I had been before, namely an excursion sometime last October (or was it November?), I felt it was worth yet another, closer look and visit. Before, while it was evident the Farmer’s Market was the pride, if not joy of the quaint, suburban locale, I was with company, and it was their very presence that hindered any real observations. This time I came alone, to allow for greater independence, mobility and freedom, and most importantly, to properly enjoy the event.

Upon my arrival to the market, I found myself again in awe by what seemed like was the whole community out in support of their cherished and esteemed market. My initial observations and impressions were the as stated above, the sheer size of the event. I’m talking EVERYBODY was there, in true neighborhood harmony and spirit. There seemed to be a vendor and stall for practically every cuisine under the sun – something myself, a self-proclaimed foodie, was definitely fond of. I decided to order an herb-seasoned chicken that was spit roasted, with the drippings falling below onto herb potatoes, along with a slice of pita bread. The chicken, of course was delicious; marinated with seemingly a galaxy of herbs, something that provided for a succulent, tender meal. In addition to the heavily trafficked chicken vendor, there were a myriad of other culinary options, including fresh fare from El Salvador, the Eastern Mediterranean and Levantine, France, Mexico, as well as the obligatory American heartland classics. Despite the extensive arsenal of culinary options and traditions present, as well as the many people, I felt taken aback by the friendliness of the people.

Living in the city, it’s rare and utterly uncommon to be showered with compliments and unfettered happiness. Doing those things is a good way to be branded a weirdo, freak, perv, or psychopath. Having been sheltered in the city for pretty much my whole life, I’ve grown used and accustomed to behavior that is rude, smug, arrogant, mean, etc, you name it and I’ve probably been on the receiving end of it. Is this generally overt, outward happiness and joy the result of a higher quality of living? Are the fabled suburbs all they are made out to be? At any rate, from my urban outsider observations, it seemed deceptive, fake and even a bit cliquish and non-inclusionary (since it was only locals) – a true mirror of the sometimes shallow, superficial and sterile, prefabricated master planned communities suburbs themselves are.















Links to this post

5 comments: to “ South Pasadena Farmer's Market so far...

  •  

    CORN!
    tasty :]

  •  

    beautiful.
    so vivid.

  •  

    "Is this generally overt, outward happiness and joy the result of a higher quality of living? Are the fabled suburbs all they are made out to be? At any rate, from my urban outsider observations, it seemed deceptive, fake and even a bit cliquish and non-inclusionary (since it was only locals) "

    Good questions. I would posit that it isn't fake - the people of South Pasadena and surrounding cities love that farmer's market and plan for it all week. I don't think this is the fakeness of suburbia. That is a different feel altogether (or lack thereof).

  •  

    Splendid. Did I ever mention you remind me of Anthony Bourdain ? ;)

  •  

    hey! nice market! i think the only thing similar here in arg is the chinessetown, but of course, there is no such variety haha.