Punta del Diablo, Uruguay

Saturday, December 8, 2012

In light of the recent snow here in Berlin, I have decided to hark back to warm times, and share these images from Punta del Diablo, Uruguay. Even though I visited in May of last year, I have somehow never gotten around to posting these, something quite unusual for me. 

Punta del Diablo is a sleepy, no-ATM-or-fast-food-restaurants kinda beach town on the Uruguay coast, roughly 40 kilometers from the Brazilian border. I made the 13 or so hour ferry + bus (Ferry to Colonia, Uruguay; bus to Montevideo's notoriously sleazy and sketchy Tres Cruces bus terminal; then midnight bus up the coast to Punta del Diablo) combination trip from Buenos Aires, where I was living and studying Spanish at the time. I vividly recall being harassed, followed, and eventually befriended by the town's many, wild dogs, only moments after collecting my backpack from the bus' loading bay. It was a memorable start to what proved to be good weekend (or week - I forgot how exactly how long I was there for).

Following Spanish exams, it was nice to get away from hectic and stressful urban chaos of Buenos Aires, and enjoy long walks on the beach, often in the company of Uruguayan wine, Brazilian jazz, and the aforementioned street dogs that followed me. As much as I love Buenos Aires, it is easily one of the most stressing, taxing, and unpleasant cities I have visited and lived in. Mundane things like buying and receiving  online goods were often a hellish and time-consuming chore. Anyways, enough with that; here are a few photos:











Links to this post